Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Call Me Irresponsible

I am flying blind. I don't like to admit it, even to myself, but it's true. I'm not a climatologist. I'm not a nuclear scientist. I'm not a geologist or an economist or any other 'ist' that I can thing of. I know jack s**t . I rant and rave and carry on, but it's all bluster.

My husband, in one of the rare moments in which he was actually right, called me 'irresponsible' for posting a comment on ClimateProgress.org. I had cited a news article describing the problems French nuclear power plants encountered during the heat wave of 2003 with the implication that future heat waves might interfere with the generation of nuclear power, something to consider in a warming world. He reminded me that I know nothing of the advances in nuclear technology or how heat might affect generation in the future. I guess it was an irresponsible post -- product of a silly urge to be part of something bigger than myself. I did take comfort in the thought that I am not alone in my irresponsibility -- a trait I share with the President and Vice President at the very least. At least I only posted a comment -- I didn't take the world down a path of death and destruction, so I'll allow myself a pass on this one.

I'm supposed to be smart . . . but I don't feel smart. I listen to financial advisors and politicians and scientists and it seems like they're speaking foreign languages. But what's a girl to do? I can either put blind faith in what I am told to believe or I can take my limited knowledge, my limited understanding, and try to make some sense of it all.

Call me irresponsible.

No comments: