Monday, September 22, 2008

I am a Gaiaist!

When did capitalism become our God? When did the free market become sacrosanct? When did we sell our souls for an energy fix? And when did capitalism become the end all and be all? Are we still fighting the Cold War? Don't people realize that communism has morphed into capitalism? Everything in Wal-Mart is made in China. Are there any people on the earth more capitalistic than the Chinese, for god's sake?

I grew up with 'better dead than red.' I never quite understood that. If one were alive, one could work for change. If one were dead, it was all over. But better dead than red it was. Had to be. Communists were the worst evil the world had ever seen and if one became Communist, one would be Communist for eternity. Or until The Wall came down. But that was in the future and totally unforeseen.

I am not a capitalist. I have seen what unrestrained capitalism can do and it is as ugly as it gets. Capitalism rapes the earth. Capitalism enslaves the poor. Capitalism is sending us into purgatory. Strong words -- words I would not have written two days ago. It is a conclusion that was slow in coming.

This is not a black and white world. Just because I am not a capitalist, it does not mean I am a communist. I am a gaiaist. New word. New concept. New paradigm.

No comments: