Friday, February 6, 2009

Elephantitis

I have an elephant that follows me everywhere. He's invisible to just about everyone I know, so I try not to refer to him too often -- no point in giving people even more reason to believe I'm a bit screwy. But he is hard to ignore! Some days we tolerate one another rather well, but lately he seems to be getting more insistent -- he likes pushing me around, making me jump through hoops. There are days when he looks so terrifying that he scares the bejeebers out of me; there are nights when he sits on my chest and makes it hard to sleep, and there are mornings when he boots me out of bed at o-dark-thirty. But the hardest thing is that he's always there, the elephant in the room, and to preserve any claim on normalcy, I have to pretend otherwise.

At least he's not pink!

2 comments:

THROBGOBLINS INTERNATIONAL. said...

Physicists have been searching for the elusive "dark matter" that makes up most of the universe. The answer is now so obvious -the missing matter of the universe is comprised of herds of invisible elephants in every room of every life in every corner of the world. I have several of my own. I know them by their footprints.

gaias daughter said...

Marc, I'm a huge fan of yours!! Thanks for stopping by. I hope your elephants are better behaved than mine.